The Engineering Technician II / Resident will have on-site engineering responsibility and will perform construction inspection and other engineering related services in support of outside plant construction projects.
IMPACT OF POSITION:
This is more than a job. You’ll be managing projects that connect hundreds of rural homes each year with fiber-optic broadband services so rural residents can live better lives.
- Primary on-site representative; provide direction to and respond to questions from Inspectors
- Perform on-site inspection and construction observation to ensure conformance with project specifications.
- Monitor and report on construction progress.
- Record as-built construction details.
- Review contractor invoicing.
- Create project staking sheets in either hand drawn or digital format.
- Layout and review plant maps and plant assignments.
- Preparation of utility permits, contract documents, tabulation of construction units, and project estimates.
- Frequent communication with contractor personnel, CNS team members, and clients.
- Receives overall supervision from the Project Manager, and at times project supervision from Engineering Services Manager.
- All other duties as assigned.*
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or equivalent; technical degree or the equivalent in work experience preferred. Basic computer skills (Word, Excel, email). Knowledge of telecommunications cable plant terminology, RUS procedures / specifications, and understanding of construction methods. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a necessity to successful performance in this position. Valid driver’s license and excellent driving history required. Ability to travel 80% or more to on-site project locations.
- Seeing: Must be able to read computer screen and various reports. 100% of time.
- Hearing: Must be able to hear to communicate with employees, clients and industry contacts. 100% of time.
- Standing/Walking: Must be able to physically operate a vehicle for travel purposes or have alternate transportation available. 100% of time.
- Grasping and Feeling: Must be able to write, type and use phone system. 100% of time.
- Climbing, Stooping, Kneeling, Lifting, Pulling and Pushing. 75% of time.
General office environment, construction project job site, and frequent travel in all types of weather conditions required.