In this role, you’ll help us bring faster Internet service to thousands of rural homes by assisting in network route planning and ultimately inspecting Fiber-Optic Construction projects. Most of these projects are in Minnesota, and typically involve underground construction processes including cable plowing, directional boring, and/or trenching – you will be overseeing and inspecting the project, not operating the equipment.
You’ll enjoy the outdoors in the summer, indoors in the winter, and get to work in beautiful rural Minnesota.
Our team is eager to help you learn the ropes, as long as you’re curious and focused.
While it’s great if you have construction or excavation experience, it’s not necessary. If you’re curious and willing to learn new things (construction and a little bit of technology) you’re likely to be a great fit.
This position includes full responsibility and accountability to the Engineering Services Manager in an effective and efficient manner. Accuracy, thoroughness, and attention to detail are imperative to the success of this position.
IMPACT OF POSITION:
Successful completion of essential responsibilities builds growth for CNS while ensuring clients receive a successful result from their projects.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS:
- Perform on-site inspection and construction observation to ensure conformance with project specifications.
- Monitor and report on construction progress.
- Record as-built construction details.
- Create project staking sheets in either hand drawn or digital format.
- Assist with preparation of utility permits, contract documents, and tabulation of construction units.
- Frequent communication with contractor personnel, CNS team members, and clients.
- Receives overall supervision from Engineering Services Manager, and at times project supervision from Project Manager or Resident.
- All other duties as assigned.*
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or equivalent; technical degree or the equivalent in work experience preferred. Basic computer skills (Word, Excel, email). Knowledge of telecommunications cable plant terminology and construction methods preferred. Excellent written and verbal communication skills are a necessity to successful performance in this position. Valid driver’s license and excellent driving history required. Ability to travel 80% or more to on-site project locations.
- Seeing: Must be able to read computer screen and various reports. 100% of time.
- Hearing: Must be able to hear to communicate with employees, clients and industry contacts. 100% of time.
- Standing/Walking: Must be able to physically operate a vehicle for travel purposes or have alternate transportation available. 100% of time.
- Grasping and Feeling: Must be able to write, type and use phone system. 100% of time.
- Climbing, Stooping, Kneeling, Lifting, Pulling and Pushing. 75% of time.
General office environment, construction project job site, and frequent travel in all types of weather conditions, required.
The statements contained herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. This is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of the required personnel. Furthermore, this position description is not a contract for employment and is subject to change at the discretion of the employer.